Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Things to Inspire - Religious Artefacts

 Writing historical fiction, it is impossible to ignore the overwhelming impact religion had on people's lives. It was not only the structure of organised religion, but the interwoven beliefs which dominated people's lives. Christianity, the religion which runs through most of my historical fiction, grew and survived with its ability to adapt as it spread from place to place and culture to culture, absorbing certain traditions as it powered on. I love Theology. I did my undergraduate degree in it, and it continues to remain a real interest of mine. I also love the idea of holding hands across history, seeing what my characters saw, and holding the same objects in my own hands as they or their peers did. Given the significance of religion and superstition throughout history, these things were common - although not necessarily accessible - and would have been understood by all. Religious iconography dominated Pre-Reformation Europe, speaking as a universal language to all. These

"How to get bloggers to review your self-published book: An insider's guide" Book Review

Book Review

"How to get bloggers to review your self-published book: An insider's guide" by Knockin' Books(!!)


☆☆☆☆☆



Today, I was travelling down from Caithness to Perthshire for a week’s holiday, including the Perthshire book launch of Day’s Dying Glory. I’ve just settled into the holiday cottage and feeling very sleepy so forgive me if this book review is too short and to-the-point. I’d like to go on for ages so I feel like I’ve done “How to Get Bloggers to Review your Self-Published Book” justice. I’m surprised that this is my first review – I was expecting to review fiction books – but I found that this book was just so helpful I must share it with everyone I can find! Find it on Amazon here.



I took this e-book with me on the train to Inverness. The train journey goes through some of the most breath-taking scenery in Britain but I found I was too engrossed in this helpful book to notice.
The first thing I noticed was the language. There were no heavy, boring sentences that I would skim-read. The language was engaging and included just the right number of funny bits! I do love a bit of humour in a book.
What really made this book stand out for me was that it was specifically designed for self-published authors. Similar books on the market are designed for authors with a publishing contract, but this book was perfect for my needs!
My one criticism…it was too short!! I cried when I got to the end…well, no I didn’t, but I got very emotional!! I get greedy with books and want more and more of a good read. I will definitely be going back for seconds.
I would definitely recommend this book to any self-published author who is struggling to get book reviews. Now I’m off to find the author’s blog…
Find their blog here!

Blurb (from Amazon)


As a self-published author, you’re in a tough spot. You can’t sell your book without reviews, but if no one is buying your book, how the heck are you supposed to get any reviews? Lucky for you, book bloggers have millions of followers who read their reviews and take their book recommendations as gospel. Getting an influential blogger to review your book can shoot your sales through the roof. But how exactly do you entice bloggers to read and review your book?

This book offers practical advice and insider tips for approaching bloggers and snagging their attention (without paying for it), including:
•Where to find and how to choose book bloggers
•What to say (and what not to say) when approaching bloggers
•The top reasons why bloggers might be rejecting your review requests
•Examples of good (and bad) query letters
•Hidden clues in a review policy that might increase your odds of winning a review
•How to cultivate relationships with bloggers that will help you with future releases and requests

Book bloggers are here to stay, and the authors who know how to work with them are more likely to hit the bestseller’s lists than those who don’t. And who better to tell self-published and indie authors how to approach bloggers than ACTUAL bloggers? Yeah, that’s what we thought, too.

About Knockin’ Books: We’re a group of friends who are addicted to reading. Seriously. Addicted. But we’re not just readers. Our group includes folks with decades of design, advertising, marketing and copywriting/proofreading/editing experience. Heck, we even have an Amazon best-selling, self-published author on our team. We’re a diverse group, and we’ve come together to help connect authors with readers (and vice versa).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#HistFicThursdays - Muskets & Minuets - Lindsey S. Fera - Book Excerpt

   This week, I'm delighted to once again be teaming up with  The Coffee Pot Book Club ! Today I'm sharing an excerpt from the stunning book,  Muskets & Minuets  by Lindsey S. Fera! So let's begin by meeting the book... Love. Politics. War. Amidst mounting tensions between the British crown and the American colonists of Boston, Annalisa Howlett struggles with her identity and purpose as a woman. Rather than concern herself with proper womanly duties, like learning to dance a minuet or chasing after the eligible and charming Jack Perkins, Annalisa prefers the company of her brother, George, and her beloved musket, Bixby. She intends to join the rebellion, but as complications in her personal life intensify, and the colonies inch closer to war with England, everything Annalisa thought about her world and womanhood are transformed forever. Join Annalisa on her journey to discover what it truly means to be a woman in the 18th century, all set against the backdrop of some of

#HistFicThursdays - An Open Invitation to Historical Fiction Writers: #HistFicMay

 I'm always impressed by the power of social media in spreading the word about books and writing. In the hope of giving back to that, I'm going to be running a social media event throughout May to help spread the word for the fabulous historical fiction authors who are in the online writing community. All you have to do is answer the questions/challenges which match up to each day on the list. Remember, posts with pictures are always more eye-catching. You can include pictures, quotes, and purchase links in any of these. If you don't have a picture for any post, just use the #HistFicMay banner (which you can download from this blog). You can choose light or dark depending on which best suits your writing. And remember to use the #HistFicMay hashtag so I can find your post! I will retweet, share, and like all the posts which answer these challenges on Twitter (@DaysDyingGlory), Facebook (@DaysDyingGlory), and Instagram (@StomperMcEwan), and please feel free to give me a nud

#HistFicThursdays - Christmas Snippets

Christmas is coming, it's only four days away! For someone who loves Christmas so much, the festival and celebration of Christmas does not feature in as many of my books as I would have expected. All the same, I've drawn together a couple of snippets concerning Christmas from various stories I've written, and I present them to you now as my #HistFicThursdays offering (you can also find a couple from Beneath Black Clouds and White here , as well as last year's offerings here ). Philip was almost grateful of the laborious journey, as it numbed his body to the pains which lay ahead. Instead, he concentrated all his thoughts on the imminent arrival of Advent. It had always been his favourite season of the church’s year. The coming of peace. And he was ready for peace. ~ from The Year We Lived The presents were distributed by Hamish and Roger and all those present had a gift matched perfectly to their recipient. The day continued with games and carols, for which Catherine ac